ESERA was formed at the European Conference on Research in Science Education held in Leeds, England, in April 1995.
The aims of ESERA are to:
- Enhance the range and quality of research and research training in science education in Europe.
- Provide a forum for collaboration in science education research between European countries.
- Represent the professional interests of science education researchers in Europe.
- Seek to relate research to the policy and practice of science education in Europe.
- Foster links between science education researchers in Europe and similar communities elsewhere in the world.