This document outlines the financial relationship between ESERA and the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of ESERA Conferences and ESERA Summer Schools.
1. Financial independence – the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of the ESERA Conference and ESERA Summer School is financially independent from ESERA, and is therefore free to set the conference or summer school fees at the appropriate level. It should be kept in mind, however, that the income generated by conference fees and local sponsoring is meant to roughly balance the expenses of organising the event. The Conference Registration System for an ESERA Conference will be provided by ESERA. The costs of updating and adapting this system to local circumstances are considered to be part of the LOC conference budget.
2. Planning budget – ESERA offers the LOC a planning budget of € 500, to be retransferred to ESERA after the conference or summer school. The LOC can, of course, decide not to make use of this offer.
3. Financial support budget – ESERA offers the LOC of an ESERA Conference a budget of maximum € 10,0001) for financial support of conference participants. This budget is exclusively meant for supporting ESERA members. ESERA offers the LOC of an ESERA Summer School a budget of maximum € 15,0001) for financial support of PhD student members supervised by an ESERA member, and for covering the fee and travel expenses of the participants acting as supervisors during the summer school. Decisions on how to spend this budget are the responsibility of the LOC. The LOC is, of course, free to create an additional financial support budget and free to set the criteria for spending this non ESERA budget.
4. Requests – Both budgets will be transferred to the LOC before the event on request only. A request should be addressed by letter or email to the ESERA treasurer (for name and address, see the ESERA website), stating the necessary details2).
5. Membership information – If necessary, details about ESERA membership of individuals will be made available on request.
6. Conference fee surcharge – Non ESERA members (including non-active ESERA members) participating at an ESERA Conference pay a surcharge of € 50 on the conference fee3), the equivalent of a one-year ESERA membership, and are thus considered to have become active ESERA members for the year in which the conference takes place. Cashing these surcharges is the responsibility of the LOC. The income generated through these surcharges (minus the credit card fees, if applicable) is to be transferred to ESERA after the conference.
The surcharge mentioned above applies to all conference participants not being an active ESERA member during the year of the conference. In addition, the fee for conference participants not being an active ESERA member during the year of the conference and the preceding year will include an additional surcharge of € 100. Cashing these additional surcharges is the responsibility of the LOC. The income generated through these additional surcharges goes to the LOC conference budget.
PhD students not being an active ESERA member during the year of the conference and the preceding year will pay a surcharge of € 10 on the PhD student conference fee. Cashing these surcharges is the responsibility of the LOC. The income generated through these surcharges goes to the LOC conference budget.
For the sake of clarity these rules for setting the conference fees are outlined in the table below.
|Member in year before conference||Member in year of conference||Conference fee||Remarks|
|yes||yes||€ xxx||To be set by LOC|
|yes||no||€ xxx + 50|
|No||Yes||€ xxx + 100|
|No||No||€ xxx + 150||€ 50 to be transferred to ESERA|
7. Finalised account – After the conference or summer school the LOC provides the ESERA treasurer with an account of the amount spent on financial support from ESERA’s financial support budget (including a specification of names and figures) and, in the case of an ESERA Conference, with an account of the income generated through the € 50 surcharge on the conference fee for non ESERA members (including non-active ESERA members). The ESERA treasurer will then provide the LOC with a finalised account of the amount to be transferred to either the LOC or ESERA, taking into account the expenses of the LOC on financial support out of the ESERA budget (up to the above stated maximum and as far as it meets the above stated criteria), the income of the LOC through the conference fee surcharge as indicated above and the advanced money – if any – transferred to the LOC by ESERA.
8. Additional requests – The ESERA Executive Board will decide on granting additional requests for financial support made by the LOC. It has to be kept in mind, however, that ESERA’s finances are limited.
1) The height of this budget might be subject to change as a result of ESERA’s actual financial position. A decision about this is made by the ESERA Executive Board one year before the conference or summer school.
2) Amount and currency; BIC or SWIFT code of beneficiary bank; IBAN number of account; name, address, postal code, city and country of account holders.
3) ESERA Summer Schools are exclusively meant for ESERA members, so a non member surcharge is not applicable.
Koos Kortland – Treasurer ESERA