Proposals should contain the following:
• the applicants’ names, institution(s) and a 2-page CV for each
• the names of the local organizing committee members
• the proposed location of the conference (with a description of the relevant venue)
• details of previous involvement of the organizers in ESERA events (particularly previous summer schools)
• a rationale (500-1000 words) indicating why the proposal should be chosen
Things to know:
• The board is interested in locations accessible (both geographically and financially) to a large number of European Science Education PhD students.
• Countries where the Summer School has not previously been held are encouraged to apply.
• The principal organizers are expected to attend and participate in the Summer School in Oxford, UK (June 28 – July 4, 2020), staff funding provided.
• The Summer School is self-funded. Local foundation funding for the Summer School is helpful in reducing costs to students (perhaps 15,000€).
• The maximum that students should have to pay has ranged from 350€ to 400€ for lodging and food. Forty-nine students will be selected to attend.
• A venue at or near the organizer’s university facilities is preferred since it helps with planning and organization and saves money.
• The Summer School needs a large meeting room for 80 persons; seven group rooms with projection (nine persons in each room) and three or four workshop rooms (25 persons in each room).
• Meeting rooms and participant residences close to one another are highly desirable.
• At least 2/3rds of the residence rooms should be single rooms with some doubles for students who prefer to share and save money.
• WiFi needs to be widely available and strong enough for simultaneous use by many participants in all meeting rooms.
• A balance of male and female staff (plenary presenters, mentors and workshop leaders) is needed and will be decided together with the ESERA Board.
• Poster space at the coffee break area for informal browsing is desired.
The period for selecting the ESERA Summer School 2021 organizers:
• Announcement call September 2019
• Proposals due January 15, 2020
• Decision made at ESERA Board meeting in March 2020
• Two organizers of 2021 attend and participate in the 2020 Summer School in Oxford, UK (June 28 – July 4, 2020) with staff funding.
Visit Esera 2021